Alice James Books in partnership with Kundiman, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Asian-American poetry, presents The Kundiman Poetry Prize, an annual book publication series that began in 2010.
Kundiman is currently accepting submissions of poetry manuscripts for The Kundiman Poetry Prize electronically and by regular mail through March 15, 2014. The Kundiman Poetry Prize welcomes submissions from emerging as well as established Asian American poets. Entrants must reside in the United States.
The winner receives $1000, and book publication from Alice James Books.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submission:
- Manuscripts must be typed, paginated, and 50 – 70 pages in length (single spaced).
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 25 pages, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished. Translations and self-published books are not eligible. No multi-authored collections, please.
- Manuscripts must have a table of contents and include a list of acknowledgments for poems previously published. The inclusion of a biographical note is optional. Your name, mailing address, email address and phone number should appear on the title page of your manuscript. MANUSCRIPTS CANNOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send Kundiman your only copy.
No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- Send one copy of your manuscript submission with two copies of the title page. Use only binder clips. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies.
- Manuscripts must be mailed/submitted online to Kundiman.
- Entry fee for The Kundiman Poetry Prize is $28. Checks or money orders should be made out to Alice James Books. On the memo line of your check, please write The Kundiman Poetry Prize.
Manuscripts may be submitted online or by regular mail. Mail hard copy entries to:
P.O. Box 4248
Sunnyside, NY 11104.
To submit your manuscript online, click here.
Checklist for Entry
One (1) copy of manuscript enclosed, with acknowledgements
Two (2) copies of title page
$28 entry fee
Stamped, addressed postcard
Postmarked by March 15, 2014
U.S. Postal Service Delivery Confirmation Receipt on package (strongly recommended)
The Kundiman Poetry Prize is judged by consensus of the members of Kundiman’s artistic staff and the Alice James Books board. Manuscripts are not read anonymously. For notification of winners, include a business-sized SASE. If you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, include a stamped addressed postcard. Winners will be notified and announced in June 2014.
Congratulations to Lo Kwa Mei-en, winner of the 2013 Kundiman Poetry Prize! The Alice James Books Board along with members of the Kundiman Board selected her manuscript, “Yearling,” for publication. She will also receive $1,000, and her book will be published in April 2015.