Kinereth Gensler Award
Alice James Books will be accepting submissions of poetry manuscripts to the Kinereth Gensler Awards postmarked through October 1, 2013. The Kinereth Gensler Awards welcomes submissions from emerging as well as established poets. Entrants must reside in New England, New York State, or New Jersey (beginning no later than December 1, 2013.)
The winner(s) receives $2000, book publication, and distribution through Consortium. Winners serve a three-year term on the Alice James Books Cooperative Board (click here for description), beginning with attendance at the January board meeting immediately following the award acceptance in December.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submission:
- Manuscripts must be typed in a no less than 12 point font, paginated, and 48 – 80 pages in length (single spaced). We accept double sided manuscripts.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 25 pages, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished. Translations and self-published books are not eligible. No multi-authored collections, please.
- Manuscripts must have a table of contents and include a list of acknowledgments for poems previously published. The inclusion of a biographical note is optional. Your name, address, and phone number should appear on the title page of your manuscript. MANUSCRIPTS CANNOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send us your only copy.
- No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- Send one copy of your manuscript submission with two copies of the title page. Use only binder clips. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies.
- For notification of winners, include a business-sized SASE. If you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, include a stamped addressed postcard. Winners will be announced in mid-December 2013.
- Entry fee for the Kinereth Gensler Awards is $25 for hardcopy submissions, $30 for online submissions (additional $5 fee includes service, printing, and preparation costs). Checks or money orders for hardcopy submissions should be made payable to Alice James Books.
- Manuscripts may be submitted online ($30 submission fee) or by regular mail ($25 submission fee). Mail hard copy entries to: Alice James Books, Kinereth Gensler Awards, 114 Prescott Street, Farmington, ME 04938. For online submissions (open until 11:59 PM EST on 12/1), click here.
Checklist for entry:
- One (1) copy of manuscript enclosed, with acknowledgements
- Two (2) copies of title page with name, address, and contact info
- $25 copy entry fee enclosed ($30 if submitting online)
- I have included a SASE for a free book (hardcopy submissions only) (please ensure that the envelope is book-sized and has at least $2.80 of postage)
- Business-sized SASE enclosed
- I have read the description of the AJB Cooperative Board
- U.S. Postal Service Delivery Confirmation Receipt on package