Alice James Award
Alice James Books is accepting submissions of poetry manuscripts to the Alice James Award (formerly the Beatrice Hawley Award) postmarked through November 1, 2017. The Alice James Award welcomes submissions from emerging as well as established poets. Entrants must reside in the United States.
The winner receives $2000, book publication, and distribution through Consortium. The winner will also receive a $1000 honorarium and give a reading at the University of Maine at Farmington. In addition to the winning manuscript, one or more additional manuscripts may be chosen for publication as the Editor’s Choice.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submission:
- Screening for the Alice James Award is blind. Because of this, no contact information is allowed within your manuscript, including within the filename, if electronically submitted. Electronic submissions will have contact information collected via Submittable, which is hidden from our screeners. Hardcopy submissions must include a separate title page, which lists the title of your manuscript and contact information (name, address, e-mail address, and phone number).
- Do not include any preambles, bios, or acknowledgements within your submitted manuscript.
- Manuscripts must have a table of contents.
- No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- Manuscripts must be typed in a no less than 12 point font, paginated, and 48 – 80 pages in length (single spaced). We accept double sided manuscripts.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 25 pages, but the collection, as a whole, must be unpublished.
- Translations and self-published books are not eligible.
- No multi-authored collections, please.
- MANUSCRIPTS CANNOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send us your only copy.
- If electronic: send your manuscript via Submittable only with a cover page that lists the title of your manuscript. No personal/contact information is allowed to be included within your manuscript file.
- If hardcopy: send one copy of your manuscript submission with two copies of the title page (one title page that includes just the title of your manuscript, the second which includes the title and your contact information [your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and an optional biographical note)]). Use only binder clips. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies.
- For notification of winners, include a business-sized SASE.
- If you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, include a stamped addressed postcard. Winners will be announced in April 2017.
- Entry fee for the Alice James Award is $30 for online and hardcopy submissions. Checks or money orders for hardcopy submissions should be made payable to Alice James Books.
- Manuscripts may be submitted online or by regular mail. Mail hard copy entries to: Alice James Books, Alice James Award, 114 Prescott Street, Farmington, ME 04938. For online submissions (open until 11:59 PM EST on 11/1), click here.
Checklist for entry:
- One (1) copy of manuscript enclosed (NO CONTACT INFORMATION WITHIN MANUSCRIPT)
- Electronic: Title page that lists only the title of your manuscript (NO CONTACT INFORMATION)
- Hardcopy: Two (2) copies of title page (one page that shows only the title, the second which shows the title and your contact information)
- $30 entry fee enclosed
- Self-addressed stamped postcard for notification of manuscript
- Self-addressed stamped envelope for notification of award winner